Friday 11 November 2011

The brief and blog

Brief
Reading the brief over I have made a few notes of aspects I need to keep constantly in mind while working through it, such as what needs to be created and what needs to be done:
research and evaluate the existing game's development
create two levels
level layout
use of space in levels
object placement in levels
alternative areas in levels, make it more interesting.
theme!!! make it stand out

Blog
I've read through the "Much Haste to Igford" development blog here http://steampunkracer.blogspot.com/ and taken notes of what has been created. By looking at what is already in the game I can get an idea of what I can add to my research to get a better understanding of what elements have been including and widen my knowledge about the theme.
  • viaducts
  • red brick working-class terraced houses
    • inspired by Victorian buildings
    • dibeth in Birmingham
  • slum house (different class areas)
  • boiler house
  • hay bales
  • lamp posts
  • barrels
  • 19th century feel
  • "Steam punk varied in theme and visuals and depends on author/produced rather than a set of rules"
    • I haven't looked into any in-depth steampunk research yet but only have some general knowledge on the subject from conventions and seeing friends cosplay. Reading what Rich has said here has stuck in my mind and is something to think about when looking into steampunk.
  • veteran cars 1890 - 1900
  • formular 1 circuits
  • community based theme to environment through use of ruby field
  • light up windows in building for realistic effects
  • damaged viaducts
  • airships
  • rail lines
  • log piles
  • billboard = finish line
  • lumber yard
  • 2d work in HUD keeps personalised effect to work
  • no lives for player?
  • church/chapel
  • pseudo-Victorian community
  • 1890
  • vulcan hotel Cardiff influence inn
  • iron production and mining large coal fields

By looking into what has already been made and researched give me a better understanding of the game and shows me what I need to personally look at for a better understanding of everything included on the list.  

No comments:

Post a Comment